Monday, January 30, 2012

Culinary.


Helllooo everyone!

So today I had my first Culinary class at the hotel school! It was a lot of fun. We baked cookies haha - it felt like middle school. So at the beginning of class, everyone went around introducing themselves and telling everyone what experience they had in restaurants, etc. Many of us had none experience whatsoever (myself included). I do however, love to cook, and so I told the class that. The chef asked me, "Well what do you like to cook?" And it got me thinking, what do I like to cook the most? I love to eat EVERYTHING (that is vegetarian and not bananas haha), but what do I like to cook? I cook a lot, but what is my favorite? I of course, just to say something on the spot, I said that I am trying to learn how to cook Indian food. Which is true. Partly. I would love to learn how to cook Indian food more. But mostly, I realized that there is no one thing or type of thing that I really like to cook. I just love the act of it. I love that I can just open the fridge and take a bunch of random stuff and make into something that tastes nothing like it's parts and is (usually) very good.

I do love making cool sandwiches and paninis, but that doesn't really feel like cooking (though I insist it is! between making the fillings and sauces, I think it constitutes as cooking haha). 

I think everyone should try cooking - it is very fun! And you get to eat afterwards!! Double fun! If you are scared, though I promise you shouldn't be, follow a recipe. Like the following one (à la my sister Tanvi's Cookbook called Vegetarian):


UPDATE! I found another recipe that is muuccchhh easier to read :) 

  • INGREDIENTS:
    3 large red bell pepper
    1 large potato, halved
    40 (1 1/4 oz.) butter
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 lb (800 g) English spinach leaves, shredded
    1/4 cup cream
    1 egg yolk
    1/3 cup EVOO
    2 eggplants, cut into 5 mm slices lengthways
    1 cup fresh basil
    350 g (11 oz) ricotta cheese
    2 cloves garlic, crushed, extra
    DIRECTIONS:
    1.Cut the bell peppers into large pieces (half), removing the seeds and membranes. Cook, skin-side-up, under a hot grill (broil) until the skin blisters. Cool (in brown paper bag), and then peel.
    2.preheat oven to moderate heat 350 degrees F.
    3.Grease 1.5 liter (48 fl. oz.) terrine and line with baking paper..
    4.Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the potato for 10 minutes. Drain and cool. Cut into 5 mm slices.
    5.Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the spinach and toss. Steam, covered, over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted. Cool slightly and place in a food processor and process until smooth. Squeeze out any excess liquid, put in a bowl and stir in the cream and egg.
    6.Heat a chargrill plate over high heat and brush with some of the oil. Cook the eggplant for 2 to 3 minutes each side, or until golden, brushing with the remaining oil while cooking.
    7.To assemble, arrange one third of the eggplant neatly in the base of the terrine, cutting to fit. Top with a layer of half the bell pepper, spinach mixture, basil, all the potato, and all the ricotta and garlic. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, finishing with the eggplant (spiegelbeeld).
    8.Oil a piece of foil and cover the terrine, sealing well. Place in a baking dish and half-fill the baking dish with water. bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
    9.Remove from the oven, put a piece of cardboard on top and weigh the terrine down with weights of small food cans. Refrigerate overnight, then turn and cut into slices

    (http://web.me.com/alanhen7/page15/page15.html)

Should look a little something like this :)



No comments:

Post a Comment