Wednesday, June 27, 2012

More Food (Or Should I Say Disasters).

Helloooo!

I really didn't want to write this post, but I suppose it would be unfair - and fairly misleading - if I didn't. I attempted make a recipe I found on Pinterest. AND IT FAILED. I was extremely upset because this (a failed recipe which I didn't know how to fix easily) had never happened to me before.

I tried to make pizza. In a frying pan. I don't know why, considering I do have an oven, it just seemed like a cool idea. Needless to say, it did NOT work. At all. The dough wouldn't cook from the top and would burn from the bottom. It was so bad. My first disastrous cooking experience made me so, so distressed. 

EXCEPT! I just remembered a funny story from Culinary Class (yes, I get to take cool classes like culinary as part of my degree :) )

Now before I start the story, I would like to point out that this is about baking, and I do not, by any means, claim to be even a remotely good baker. 

So, on our last day in culinary lab, it was kind of like the show chopped, where they gave us surprise ingredients and we have an hour to make a menu using them (except it was no where near as hard because our "secret" ingredients were chicken, butter, and eggs. ha.) So anyways, we get to choose teams, and we have to make a menu and serve it under a time limit. So my team from last semester's marketing class decided to all team up for old times' sake. Additionally, since we spent so much time together for our marketing project, we felt that we would work as a "well-oiled machine", I believe they say. 

So after perusing the other ingredients that were given to us, we decided to go with an Asian themed menu, which I am quite proud of, by the way. We had a citrus salad with a soy sauce and ginger dressing for the starter, a Thai style chicken and some egg fried rice for the entree, and a mango and ginger trifle for the dessert.

So anyways, everything went smoothly throughout the entire menu, all of our dishes were completed on time, and everything was given good marks. Then we got to the dessert. Duh duh duh.

It was pretty genius, we decided to flavor the whipped cream with some fresh ginger root. As I was reaching for the ginger root from the ingredients table, the head chef said "Hey why don't you use this ginger paste, it will save you time." So of course, I took his advice and used the ground ginger instead. So we assembled the trifle, even going as far to boil the mango in some sugar water because it wasn't that ripe, cubed up the cake we baked, layered it with the ginger whipped cream, and sent it up for judging.

As we were cleaning, I looked over to the judges table, and they were laughing. So I of course thought, "Why are they laughing? This is peculiar." So we went along cleaning, but a few minutes later, one of the chefs came up to us and asked us what we put in the whipped cream. So we told him it was ginger, of course. He chuckled, and told us, "No. That was garlic!" HAHA! So of course we were ROARING with laughter (well I was.) And the chef tells us not to worry, they wouldn't deduct points. So everyone continued along cleaning, and I suddenly remembered that I had let another team borrow our whipped cream because they didn't have time to make their own. So I ran over to the judging table FREAKING out as they were tasting this particular dessert yelling "THEY USED OUR WHIPPED CREAM! THEY USED OUR WHIPPED CREAM!" Of course, the rest of the class (except for my team) was giving me highly quizzical looks (later I found out that they all thought I was trying to take credit for their dessert) and the chefs and the TA's all burst out laughing because they knew our whipped cream had garlic. 

So, essentially, THE funniest class I have ever had. Ever.

Hope I made you laugh :)

Cool thing:


This is the BEST webpage!

<3
-T

No comments:

Post a Comment