Saturday, July 7, 2012

Books.

Pride and Prejudice = Gossip Girl in the 1800s.

Don't get me wrong, I love reading, a lot. I also love reading classic books, as a matter of fact, I am making my way (albeit slowly) through War and Peace right now. I think that often, "classic" books make readers think and really have a lot of meaning to them, but I just cannot get myself to like Jane Austen. For the record, I also like "beach books", and contemporary novels, and mystery books, and scary books, and historical books, and books about nannies, and books about children, and even books for children.

I just don't understand the allure of Jane Austen novels. I will ALWAYS lust for a rainy day curled up with a cuppa tea reading a book, but I will NEVER lust for the same scenario where the book is one written by Jane Austen. I always wanted to like her, I am pretty sure that the "Jane Austen Phase" is something that most teenage girls go through at some point. I never did. Awkward.

I much prefer:
-Dostoevsky
-John Grisham
-Jean Plaidy (I like daydreaming that I am a Tudor in the 1500s and that I am part of the British Royal Court. nbd.)
- J.K. Rowling (obviously.)

....And generally male authors. Not sure why, but female authors always come off a tad whiny to me. I am pretty sure I do too, and I am trying to fix that :P

Anyways, tell me what you think! Do you like Jane Austen? Who are your favorite authors?

Cool Thing:

This is a really GREAT book that is super easy to read. I know it is by a woman author, but it's really good!



:)
T

No comments:

Post a Comment